Tuesday, January 4, 2011

This year,

Christmas was wonderful, but... different. It's starting to lose it's traditional magic.

Let me explain.

When I was younger, it was all about the thrill of trying to figure out what I'm going to get, and planning accordingly. Shaking each box daily, putting out cookies and milk for Santa. My stocking was chosen with care, because stocking stuffers might as well have been gold.

Needless to say, I'm older. I usually have picked out all my presents beforehand, and my parents don't even pretend that Santa visits. There was no snow, and despite the cool temperatures I just... didn't feel it. I woke up late and tried to be enthusiastic, but no dice.

But with age comes more responsibilities. And slowly, the room grew warmer and my smiles genuine. What mattered about Christmas was my family gathered around and the thoughts intertwined with the gifts. God's gift, as shown in the holy story, and the way that He keeps on giving. The traditions don't mean just comfort now - they mean love and caring and time, gifts far more valuable than those just under the tree. I know now how to enjoy the season without feeling selfish. I just have to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment